Sunday, December 27, 2009

And so it begins...

Well, sort of. The truth is I have been hiking the Appalachian Trail, or the AT, since I was a teenager. I've decided to hit the reset button and start section hiking the entire 2,178-mile Appalachian Trail. I am a section hiker. The window for thru hiking has closed for me, but I am able to get away for 3 to 5 days at a time, several times each year (I have an awesome wife!).

My goal is to section hike the AT over the next 20 or so years. It's a long-term goal! A lesson in patience and perseverance, both are qualities that I have room for improvement!

A little background on the Appalachian Trail, for those who are not familiar with the footpath. The "AT" is a 2,178-mile linear trail, starting in northern Georgia (Springer Mountain) and ending in Maine (Mt. Katahdin). The trail covers all types of terrain and passes through very remote areas and populated areas. There are high peaks in Tennessee and North Carolina, as well as low areas in the Mid-Atlantic states.

The trail is known for its "thru-hikers", those who attempt to hike the entire trail in one shot, typically starting in early spring and ending in fall. The success rate for thru-hikers is estimated at less than 20%. Most hikers hike NOBO, or northbound, however some prefer the solitude of a SOBO, southbound, journey. Either way, the AT is really about the people hiking it, maintaining it and supporting it in nearby towns.

And so it begins. I welcome you to follow me on my journey. I can't do it alone. I will need the support of my wife, family and friends to hold down the home front and provide motivation, my co-workers to hold down the office, the shuttle drivers to help me get from point A to B, my fellow hikers to provide company along the way and perfect strangers to help out when I least expect it.

My first trip will be over the 2009 holidays!

No comments:

Post a Comment